Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pin 50, 51 & 52 The Magic Circle, Crocheting in the Round & Crochet Jar Covers

I really like to find ways to re-use items.   I get this weird sense of pride whenever I "save" something from the trash or recycling bin.  I have re-used glass jars before by painting them, but when I saw a pin with a crochet jar cover I couldn't help but think it was perfect.   I can re-use my jar and some of my yarn stash (that is only slightly out of control).  Now, the best way to start a jar cover is a magic circle..........so that is where our pins begin!


Pin 50 The Magic Circle (Crochet)


The simplest way to start crocheting in the round is a Magic Circle.  This allows you room to do all your stitches without being crowded and the best part is it allows you to pull everything tight so there is no hole in the middle where you started.  This pin has pretty good pictures and directions on how to do the magic circle.   It might be awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is the way to go.


Follow the directions in the pin and wrap the yarn around your fingers.....then make your first stitches,  remember your 3 sc count as your first dc.  Sometimes I forget that!

First single crochets off of a magic circle, counts as your first double chain

Once you complete the number of dc you need, it will look like you still have a gap....don't fear, that is the beauty of the magic ring.

Magic Circle before it is pulled close

Just take the end of the yarn and pull, and your circle will close the gap

Magic circle pulled close

Then just join with a slip stitch.   Your first round (Round 1) is complete.  Since the bottom of the jar cover is done in rounds we are going to move on to a pin that shows how to properly increase.

 

 

Pin 51   Crocheting in the Round (How to Increase)


This diagram is one of the easiest to read that I have seen.  It shows the increases for when you are crocheting in the round.

Source: mimibazar.cz via Nicole on Pinterest

If you are not used to reading diagrams, let me see if I can break it down without being too confusing.  The symbols that look like t's stand for single crochet.  The symbols that are o's stand for slip stitches.  The Darkened t's that are joined at the bottom and look like it makes a V are 2 single crochet in the same stich of the previous round......I think I might have lost myself there, so if you have any questions fire away!   I did mine with double crochet to keep the project quick.

The way I remember it  is.....Round 1 double crochet in your magic circle (in my example I will go 12 stitches) join with slip stich.  Round 2, do 2 double crochet in each of your previous double
crochet for a total of 24 stitches,  join with slip stitch.   Round 3,  you will do 2 double crochet in your your first double crochet of the previous round, then 1 double crochet in the next stitch.  So basically you will do 2 double crochet, then 1 double crochet, 2 double crochet, 1 double crochet till you get to the end of your round and join with a slip stitch.  That will give you a total of 36 double crochet.  For my project this was big enough.   If you need to move on to Round 4, you would  do 2 double crochet in your first double crochet of the previous round, then 1 double crochet in your next 2 stitches, then 2 double crochet in the next stitch.  You would continue doing 2 double crochet then 2, 1 double crochet till you reach the end of your round.  You should have a total of  48 stitches.

This is what Round 2 looks like

round 2 of the bottom of the crochet jar cover

and Round 3 looks like

Round 3 of the crochet jar cover

Crocheting in the round is how you start most hats, can be used for the jar covers like I'm doing, pillows or even blankets.  


Pin 52  The Crochet Jar Cover



The possibilities are endless here.   You can use a variety of stitches, of yarns and of colors.


 

To start your covers, begin with the first two pins.  Make your magic circle and crochet in the round till it is big enough to fit the bottom of your jar/tin that you are using.  I am just using a small coffee tin for this one.

bottom of the can to be fitted with a crochet cover

3 rounds was large enough to fit the bottom of what I was working with.  If it is just a little bit smaller don't worry about it.  The yarn will stretch some.  Next all you do is crochet one stitch in each of your previous stitches.  You can single crochet, double crochet, or even treble.  I chose to follow the directions in the pin,  She did 2 sc in the  first stitch of the previous round, then skipped the next stitch, then did 2 sc in the next stitch, then skipped the next stitch till you get to the end of your round and join with a slip stitch.  Do this till you reach the height you want.

working up the can/jar in the round for a cover

I switched up colors at my Daughter's request.  She wanted these to put on your her desk to keep her paint brushes in ( She is an extremely talented painter)

jar cover number one with scalloped edging

I did not follow the directions for the scalloped edging in the pin, I did 1 sc, then skipped the next 2 stitches, then did 5 double crochet in the next stitch, then skipped the next 2 stitches, then sc crochet in the next stitch.  and repeated for the round, and joined with a slip stitch.

crochet jar covers to reuse/recycle/repurpose glass jars or coffee tins

These work up really quickly, and you can even add embellishments if you want too.  My middle daughter was home sick from school last week and decorated these jars for me. Not too shabby for a 9 year old!

Decorated Christmas Crochet Jar Covers

A nice quick project. I see more of these in my future!  Oh and before I forget I used a G sized hook, and used Sugar and Cream Cotton Yarn along with scraps of  Red Heart Super Saver Yarn.


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment