Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pin 76 Making your own Tabletop Air Freshener with Baking Soda & Essential Oils

I really am loving today's pin.   I really like this one for two reasons.  First the scent lasts a remarkably long time (especially since these are natural) and second because I can re-use the ingredients from this pin in another pin.  Waste not, want not.

I really love pretty smells, and one of the hardest things for me is easing away from the chemical ridden smells, which just about every air freshener and plug in is filled with.  I feel relaxed when I walk in my home and it smells good. 

I was so happy when I found this pin from The Burlap Bag that tells you how to make your own tabletop air freshener from just two simple ingredients.  Baking Soda and Essential Oils are the star of the show. 



 

You could really put this in any small container, but I wanted something that I wouldn't mind sitting on my counters or my end tables.  I gathered everything I wanted to use.

Everything you need to make your own table top air freshner with  baking soda and essential oils

I used:

Small Canning Jars
Essential Oils
Baking Soda
Tulle (To cover the jar)
Twine (To tie around the jar
Scissors (To Trim the Tulle)
1/4 C measuring cup

This really is simple, and doesn't take more than a few minutes.   Put a 1/4 C of Baking Soda into each of your canning jars (or whatever container you choose to use).  Put 8-10 drops of your choice of essential oils into each jar.  I used peppermint, lavender and sweet orange (not together). 

Baking Soda in small canning jars sprinkled with essential oils, homemade tabletop air freshners

I then cut small pieces of tulle to cover the tops of the jars.   I happen to have a lot of tulle from projects with my girls, but you can use anything that you can put holes in on the top.   You want the scent to be able to spread and the baking soda to be able to absorb the "bad" odors.  After I trimmed the tulle,  I cut a few pieces of twine to tie around the tops.  The tulle and the twine are just eye candy.

Do it yourself tabletop air freshners made with baking soda and essential oils

If after a few days you don't notice the scent anymore, just pick up the jar and give it a little shake.  Mine have lasted for about 10 days.  You could also add a few more drops of essential oils if you wanted.

When my air fresheners loose there smell I take them and dump them into an old Parmesan cheese container.   Baking Soda makes a fabulous scrub for sinks and stove tops.  I talked about this in a previous pin, located here.  When you scrub with the baking soda from the air fresheners, the scent comes out, so it's like using a scented cleaner, but a natural one.

Baking soda from tabletop air freshners being reused a sink and oven scrub


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment